2015 Water Quality Report

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 5 of 7

Go Online to Get Notified of Outages W hile you're online, be sure to register your address with Wake County's reverse 911 system, ReadyWake, at In doing so, you're allowing the Town to notify you by phone—landline or mobile—when there's an imminent threat to your life, health or property, including things like a boil water notice or water outage. Register by October 1, 2016 to be included in the Town's first annual Townwide system test on October 6, 2016. Cross-Connection Control Program C ross-connections that can potentially contaminate drinking water distribution lines are a major concern. A cross- connection is formed at any point where a drinking water line connects to industrial equipment (such as boilers), systems containing chemicals (such as air conditioning systems, fire sprinkler systems, and irrigation systems) or water sources of questionable quality. Cross-connection contamination can occur when the pressure in the equipment or system is greater than the pressure inside the drinking water line causing backpressure. Contamination can also occur when the pressure in the drinking water line drops due to occurrences such as water main breaks or heavy water demand, potentially causing contaminants to backflow from the equipment and into the drinking water system. Community water supplies are potentially jeopardized by cross-connections unless appropriate valves, known as backflow prevention devices, are installed and properly maintained. We have surveyed all industrial, commercial, institutional, and irrigation facilities in the Town's service area to make sure that all potential cross- connections are identified and eliminated or protected by a backflow preventer. We also require annual inspection and testing of each backflow preventer to make sure that it is providing maximum protection. These annual inspections are also required for all residential irrigation systems. For more information on our Cross-Connection Control Program, visit the Town's website or contact Customer Service at (919) 469-4090. You can also find additional information by reviewing the Cross-Connection Control Manual from the U.S. EPA's website.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

view archives of TOC - 2015 Water Quality Report